The Federal Government has suspended the planned closure of Eko Bridge after a fresh technical assessment found the structure safe for continued use for now.
Minister of Works Dave Umahi announced the decision on Tuesday during an inspection of the bridge in Lagos.
Mr. Umahi said the closure was initially ordered about two weeks ago because of concerns over cracks detected on the bridge, but President Bola Tinubu directed the ministry to conduct a second evaluation to avoid unnecessary hardship for commuters.
“We directed that this bridge be closed about two weeks back, but our caring President Bola Tinubu is very much concerned about the closure of this Eko Bridge,” the minister said.
“He asked me to come back here and take a second look at that decision so that we don’t induce much hardship on Nigerians.”
Mr. Umahi said engineers reassessed the bridge on Monday and concluded that the structure remains stable at the moment.
“Putting safety over and above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe, but we won’t get to any situation where any Nigerian on this bridge will not be safe,” he said.
The minister said the government agreed on three measures, including postponing the closure while officials monitor the crack for any sign of expansion.
According to him, the crack has shown no progression “arithmetically or geometrically” so far.
“No progression so far. We are comfortable, but crack can occur anytime. I will return here to reassess it,” Mr. Umahi said.
He added that remedial works would begin on the bridge as part of efforts to maintain the structure and ensure public safety.
Comments
Add a comment