Police in Kebbi State have confirmed that 33 people were killed in a violent attack on rural communities in the Bui District of the Arewa Local Government Area earlier this week.
The Kebbi State Police Command, through its spokesperson SP Bashir Usman, said the deadly incident occurred on Wednesday when armed men, believed to be suspected Lakurawa militants, invaded several villages in the area, allegedly with the intent to rustle cattle.
Preliminary investigations suggest that the attackers crossed into the district from Gudu Local Government Area in neighbouring Sokoto State.
According to the police, residents from communities including Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago mobilised to confront the attackers.
In the ensuing clashes, 33 people lost their lives.
The assault triggered widespread panic, with many residents fleeing into nearby bushland as the gunmen moved through the villages.
Security operatives were later deployed to the scene to secure the communities and assist survivors.
In response to the attack, the police command said it had strengthened its presence in the affected areas, working in collaboration with the military and other security agencies.
Additional personnel and operational assets have been sent to the district, and area domination patrols are ongoing to restore stability and prevent further violence.
Police authorities expressed deep regret over the loss of lives and extended condolences to the families of the victims and the wider Arewa community.
They also urged residents to report any suspicious activities through official security channels, warning against civilians engaging armed criminals directly due to the grave risk to life and property.
The incident comes amid a broader context of rising insecurity in parts of north-west Nigeria, where armed groups have carried out deadly raids, kidnappings and other violent attacks on rural communities.