On Air Now

Tonight with Cheryl

10:00pm - 1:00am

Hamas Challenges Israeli Account, Says Those Killed In Hospital Attack Were Not Its Fighters

You are viewing content from Nigeria Info, Let's Talk! Abuja. Would you like to make this your preferred location?

The Palestinian group Hamas has denied that any of the 21 people killed during an Israeli airstrike on Nasser Hospital in southern Gaza were its fighters.

Israel had earlier claimed it targeted a surveillance camera allegedly used by Hamas and said six of the dead were militants.

However, Hamas, in a statement reported by the Reuters news agency on Wednesday, says at least two of those named were killed elsewhere at different times, not at the hospital.

The attack, which happened on Monday, drew widespread condemnation after it killed journalists, rescue workers, medical staff, and civilians. According to reports, the strike happened in two phases: first, a missile hit the hospital area, then minutes later, another strike hit rescuers and journalists who had rushed to help.

Five journalists, including Reuters cameraman Hussam al-Masri, died in the attack. Israel maintains that it was aiming at Hamas equipment, not civilians.


Weather

  • Abuja Weather

    Heavy Rain

    High: 25°C | Low: 20°C