The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has confirmed that former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai is in its custody as part of an ongoing investigation, following his detention by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) earlier this week.
In a statement issued on Wednesday by the ICPC's Head of Media and Public Communications, J. Okor Odey, the anti-graft agency said El-Rufai was in its custody as of the close of work on February 18, in connection with investigations that have not been fully disclosed to the public.
The development comes after El-Rufai voluntarily presented himself at the EFCC headquarters in Abuja on Monday, responding to an invitation over alleged financial improprieties during his tenure as governor of Kaduna State from 2015 to 2023.
From EFCC Custody to ICPC Custody
El-Rufai was held by the EFCC for questioning on allegations of misappropriation of public funds and other matters.
In 2024, the Kaduna State House of Assembly called for his investigation over alleged diversion of public funds, including claims of N423 billion in financial mismanagement.
After reportedly spending two days and nights with EFCC investigators, El-Rufai was taken into ICPC custody late Wednesday — a move the agency says relates to a separate or continuing phase of its inquiries.
Neither anti-graft agency has specified the exact charges or evidence against the former governor, but ICPC officials noted that further updates would be shared in due course as investigations proceed.
As the EFCC and ICPC interrogate the former governor, the Department of State Services (DSS) has filed charges against El-Rufai over his publicly professed encouragement of the wiretapping of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu’s phone lines.
The allegations, which security sources describe as serious breaches of national security protocols, form part of a separate but concurrent investigation.
El-Rufai has yet to publicly respond to the latest allegations.