The Ondo State Police Command says it has arrested 13 suspects linked to the violent attacks and killings that marred an All Progressives Congress (APC) ward congress in Idanre Local Government Area earlier this week.
The arrests follow fresh unrest on Wednesday, 18th February when suspected political thugs disrupted the APC’s ward congress across parts of the state, leading to at least two deaths and injuries to several people, police confirmed.
In a statement on Saturday in Akure, the command’s spokesperson, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, said the arrests were made after a “carefully coordinated, intelligence-led operation” ordered by Commissioner of Police Adebowale Lawal.
Jimoh explained that the attack caused “the tragic loss of two lives, injuries to three persons, and the destruction of property,” prompting the police to launch an intensive manhunt.
He said the suspects — all men — were arrested at strategic locations and “have made useful statements, which are aiding ongoing investigations.”
Jimoh listed the suspects’ names and ages, including Adewusi, Dele, Akinkurole, Victor, Abbas, Michael, Jolojolo, Ifedayo, Olamilekan, Emmanuel, Sunday, Michael and Monday, ranging in age from their mid-20s to late 40s.
He said the command was working “to unravel the full circumstances surrounding the attack, identify any additional collaborators, and determine the specific roles played by each suspect.”
Jimoh reiterated that the police are determined to bring all those involved in the violence to justice, and urged residents of Idanre and the wider state to “remain calm, law-abiding, and to continue cooperating with the Police by providing useful and timely information that can aid ongoing investigations and enhance collective security efforts.”
The arrests come amid broader tension in the state’s ruling party, which has seen clashes between rival groups ahead of internal elections this year.